John Plimmer arrived in Wellington in 1841. He worked as a carpenter and builder, and was one of the first councillors to serve on the new Wellington City Council, formed in 1870.
He contributed a great deal to his adopted city, and thus became known as the ‘Father of Wellington’.
His little dog Fritz was his constant companion, and is memorialised here, with his owner.
This life-size statue stands at the foot of Plimmer Steps, off Lambton Quay, in Wellington, New Zealand.