- 3 separate areas more or less next to each other, on either side of the stream and the railway line behind Dressmart in Tawa.
- Pretty much flat with some gentle slopes, with a stream and a railway line and gully through the middle.
- Has public toilets at the entrance.
- Parking nearby on the road or various carparks.
- Amongst trees.
- Next to a playground.
Table of Contents
Access for wheelchairs, and pushchairs
- Access to at least one grassy area from Boscobel Lane.
- Rubbish bin: yes.
- Toilets: yes.
- Seats: yes.
- Lighting at night: no, apart from nearby streetlights.
Willowbank Park is a pretty space with grass, trees and a stream behind Dressmart and across from the Park and Ride in Tawa.
The main access is from Boscobel lane or perhaps Zande Terrace.
The Council’s map for this off-leash area is very confusing. It shows 3 separate areas, with the stream and the railway line passing through as dividers.
The markings on the map imply that dogs shouldn’t be in the stream off-leash. Beside the railway line is a gully full of impenetrable blackberry and other plants that should keep dogs off the tracks.
The day we visited, in June 2012, it was very muddy and the stream was high. When it’s low I presume you could cross through the stream, perhaps using the stepping stones. Instead we walked, dogs on-leash, through a grassy area next to the children’s playground, and across the bridge to access the other two off-leash areas.
This is area #5 on the City Council map: Willowbank Park 90Kb PDF).
Main Road, Tawa — area north of scout hall and area on eastern side of stream.
- Flat areas and gentle slopes.
- Water: yes
- Enough space for play.
- One part is near a busy road.
- The railway line passes through between 2 off-leash areas.
- Possum and rat poison are widely used in the whole region and may be present.
- To cross the stream you may need to go through the on-leash area and past the playground to the bridge.
- A busy railway line passes through the Park and could perhaps frighten dogs not used to the noise.
One part of the Park is right beside Boscobel lane.
See page 2 of this post for a photo album.
Location (see the map)
- Latitude: -41.184052
- Longitude: 174.826963