- 3 spacious, flat terraces between Collins Ave and Mexted Terrace in Linden.
- Open to dogs 1 November to 31 January only. [Note: I’ve asked the Council to explain the rationale behind this restriction.]
- Beside but largely protected from the motorway.
- Plenty of parking on streets nearby.
- Pedestrian access via Collins Ave and Mexted Terrace.
Table of Contents
Access for wheelchairs, and pushchairs
- Both entrances, by navigating through or around the entrance barriers.
- Dog drinking water: no.
- Poop bags: no.
- Dog water play: no.
- Rubbish Bins: no.
- Toilets: no.
- Seats: no. You could maybe rest on the various wooden barriers.
- Lighting: no.
Arthur Carman Park is an area of three spacious flat grassy terraces between Collins Ave and Mexted Terrace in Linden.
On the East side is a steep bank that leads up to a broad strip of grass beside the motorway. It’s unlikely dogs would be able to go up the bank.
At the Mexted Ave entrance though is a grassy path up to the strip beside the motorway. Any dog that ran up there could potentially run on to the road. The only barrier is a waist-high 4-strand wire fence with some long grass and occasional gorse bushes beside it.
If your dog is likely to run off keep it well away from that area.
The terraces are broad and flat, and it looks as though neighbouring properties are all, or nearly all, securely fenced off. A gently sloping path takes you from one terrace to the next. See the photos on the next page.
This is area #1 on the City Council map: Arthur Carman Park (79Kb PDF).
Collins Avenue, Linden. Open to dogs 1 November to 31 January only.
- Flat terraces.
- Well kept
- Trees round about
- Grass well tended
- Mainly clean
- Views across to the hills.
- Not properly fenced off from the motorway in an area easily accessible from the Mexted Terrace end.
- Possum and rat poison are widely used in the whole region and may be present.
- Only open to dogs in November, December and January each year.
Collins Ave just beside the motorway underpass and Mexted Terrace on the corner with Tremewan Street.
See page 2 of this post for a photo album.
Location (see the map)
- Latitude: -41.1576
- Longitude: 174.83707