- A track through a grassy area in Miramar on the hill above Shelly Bay Road.
- Pretty much flat, with a slight incline.
- Houses along one side, but up a steep gorse-covered bank. Very steep banks go down to the road a long way below.
- Plenty of parking along the roads.
- Great views.
Table of Contents
Access for wheelchairs, and pushchairs
- Access beside a gate should be wide enough for wheelchairs. The track itself is rough and unpaved.
- Rubbish bin: no.
- Toilets: no.
- Seats: yes.
- Lighting at night: no.
Maupuia Walkway is a short stretch of grass that runs between Akaroa Drive (near Duchess Place) and Prison Road (off Akaroa Drive). A stroll from one end to the other and back took around 30 minutes.
The views across the harbour are beautiful, and a couple of well-placed benches allow you to relax and watch what’s going on on the harbour or the airport.
The day we visited the dogs found a very dead (and dry) object to roll on. It was either a rat or a stoat, and had presumably succumbed to the poisoning that goes on all around Wellington Region.
The track itself is roughly surfaced but not paved, and it curves around the hillside.
There’s a wide grassy area beside the track where dogs can play, but it’s just not a long walk.
Really it’s the views that make this off-leash area a pleasure.
This is area #46 on the City Council map: Maupuia Walkway (Old Prison Road) 95Kb PDF).
Maupuia Road / Akaroa Drive, Maupuia — open walkway accessed from Maupuia Road and Akaroa Drive.
- Flat, with a slight incline.
- Medium size
- Water: no
- Views across the Harbour, to both North and South.
- Each end opens onto a road.
- Possum and rat poison are widely used in the whole region and may be present.
This area runs roughly parallel to Akaroa Drive, with plenty of on-road parking. The South end has a small off-road area where maybe half a dozen cars could park.
See page 2 of this post for a photo album.
Location (see the map)
- Latitude: -41.30731
- Longitude: 174.815955