- A small grassy area in Ngaio behind the shops on the corner of Ottawa Road and Awarua Street.
- Pretty much flat, with a stream on one boundary.
- Beside a carpark and across a short bridge from more grass.
- Parking for about a dozen cars in the adjacent carpark.
- Amongst trees.
- Behind cafes and shops.
Table of Contents
Access for wheelchairs, and pushchairs
- Access from the carpark or via the path between the Library and Awarua Street, then across the grass.
- Rubbish bin: yes.
- Toilets: no, but there are public toilets near the Library.
- Seats: yes.
- Lighting at night: no.
Cummings Park is a short area of grass behind the shops on Ottawa Road. It’s bounded by mature trees and a small stream and is easily accessed from the carpark which has space for a dozen cars. Access to the carpark is down a steep driveway next to Cafe Villa.
The park is well away from roads and houses. It’s a small area though, suitable for a bit of off-leash play rather than a long exercise period.
Across a small bridge is another grassy area which is not part of the off-leash area. A moment’s stroll away is a children’s playground.
This is area #15 on the City Council map: Cummings Park 99Kb PDF).
Ottawa Road, Ngaio — area to east of stream in central part of reserve
- Water: yes
- Clean when we visited.
Forgot to bring a poop bag? One responsible dog owner who enjoys the park has solved that problem! Look behind the sign at the gate to see a home-made notice and a supply of plastic bags (see the photo on page 2). What a brilliant idea! In fact, why not bring a spare bag and leave it for others to use?
- Opens onto a carpark.
- Possum and rat poison are widely used in the whole region and may be present.
Down the driveway between Cafe Villa and the other shops (approx #61) on Ottawa Road.
See page 2 of this post for a photo album.
Location (see the map)
- Latitude: -41.248572
- Longitude: 174.77374